Sunday, February 24, 2013

Crumb Crumb Crumb Cake

Crumb cake has always held a place in my heart, but though I've tried, I have never been able to make one that was truly right.  I had my crumb mixture all wrong, using room temperature butter instead of melted butter, and never having the right ratio of dry to wet for it.


Finally, I've made a crumb cake I really love, and I think it looks beautiful and tastes way better than what you get in a Starbucks any day! Please feel free to oo and ahhh at my photos taken with my fantastic new camera that makes me feel like a better blogger all the time!

Crumb Cake
For the cake:
1 stick room temp butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 cup sour cream
3/4 cup self rising flour
1/4 all purpose flour
2 tbs. milk

-Mix all the ingredients together until smooth, about 1 to 2 minutes.  Pour into a greased 8x8 cake pan. Preheat oven to 350.

For the crumb topping:
1 1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 stick melted butter

-Mix together the flour, brown sugar, and a cinnamon. Pour the melted butter over dry mixture, and stir until combined. Should form large crumbs fairly easily once fully combined.
-Pour the crumbs evenly over the cake batter.  Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.  Cool slightly before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment