Monday, January 30, 2012

Cheesecake Brownies (or just brownies)


            I heard on the news about a week ago that the Girl Scouts are out with cookies again this year.  Ever since that day, I’ve been driving around every grocery store on the weekends looking for a little cookie stand, and haven’t come across a single one.
            I suppose they just haven’t made it to the stores just yet, but I feel teased by 9 News.  If these girls don’t come out with their crack-cookies near me pretty soon here, I might have to travel to greater lengths then the three grocery stores down the street from my house.

            Anyways, since I can’t have the cookies yet, I’ve resigned myself to baking something rather incredible in order to control the Thin-Mint cravings; cheesecake brownies.  Now, I spent most of my childhood begging my mother to buy a box of the Pillsbury version of these.  Now that I spend my own money on such things, I see why she never wanted to buy them.  This recipe, however, if you’re a pretty regular baker, is pretty darn cheap. 
Also, if you have amazing family members who may have purchased you a Kitchen Aid mixer recently, these brownies are a seriously easy task.  If not, I suggest you grab some new family members. Anyways, enjoy these ones.  They might be a million calories a piece, but they’re the best brownies I’ve ever made.
Cheesecake Brownies
For the brownies:
1 cup room temp. butter
2 cups sugar
½ cup cocoa powder
1 tsp. vanilla extract
4 eggs
1 ½ cups flour
½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt.
-In a stand mixer, (yay I can say that now! A hand mixer is fine too though) beat together the butter and sugar until fluffy
-Add the cocoa powder and vanilla until just combined
-Add the eggs one at a time
-Mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a separate bowl.  Slowly add to the mixer.   If your batter looks way to thick, add a tsp. of milk.
-Spread batter into a very well-greased 9x13 inch pan, or, if you have one, a 7x11 inch brownie pan.

For the cheesecake topping:
1 8oz. pkg. of cream cheese at room temp
2 tbs. sour cream
1 tbs. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 egg
½ cup sugar
-Mix it all together with a whisk until smooth.  Pour over the top of your brownies, and swirl it up a little with a butter knife.
-Bake the brownies at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, or until set.  The topping may start to crack a little, that’s totally fine.


No comments:

Post a Comment