Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The Wedding (not mine, don't get too excited!)

            If you’ve ever been a part of a wedding in any way, you probably know how it goes; total chaos until the last minute.  Well, this summer my boyfriend’s brother got married and I had the pleasure of making their wedding cupcakes.  It was definitely worth the chaos.
            The thing is, I haven’t been actually involved in a wedding since I was like 7 and a completely oblivious flower girl.  All I cared about was getting the ceremony over with so I could get out of my frumpy dress and jump into the pool.  I’ve been to weddings, sure, but usually as a guest.  However, I think that is about to change for a few years.  I’m 21 so all my friends are nearing marriage and it feels like I’m going to be swimming in a sea of weddings for the next five or six years. 

            I digress.  My point is that I didn’t realize how much really goes into a wedding.  I didn’t even realize everything that went into my part of it.  I made 120 cupcakes for the wedding.  This was definitely my biggest baking endeavor ever.
            I made three flavors; the first was a chocolate cupcake with a cream cheese chocolate frosting. These were for the bride, who is a hopeless chocoholic and enjoyed a summer filled with taste testing my chocolate cake recipes.  The second was my version of a strawberry shortcake; a vanilla cupcake with a strawberry mousse filling and a whipped cream cheese frosting.  The third was a cookies and cream cupcake, for the groom.  It was a chocolate cupcake with a cookies and cream mousse filling and a cookies and cream frosting. 
Ah, yes we had big dreams for these cupcakes.  And after losing my ride, arriving two hours later than I planned, and losing a few cupcakes along the way, it all came together.  Fortunately, I wasn’t the only one helpless to the chaos of the event, and my mishaps went mostly unnoticed.
Lesson learned: plan a ridiculous excess of time when baking in ginormous and important quantities. Check out the pictures of how they turned out, and the process of baking. 
Have you had any major baking mishaps? Tell me about it in the comments!!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I love all three varieties but would have gone for a strawberry shortcake one. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Isa! I'll be sure to make some strawberry shortcake ones when you guys move back to Colorado! ;)

    ReplyDelete